Sunday, January 24, 2010

Time speeds up in 2010

I cant believe three weeks has passed since my last post. A lot has happened in such a short time. More on that later. I have been in China almost half a year and I thought I had seen pretty much every cultural oddity Beijing has to offer, but I was wrong. Last week, I saw split pants. Split pants you say, what are they. China's answer to the diaper. Toddlers who are not potty trained where paints that are split down the middle, so whenever they have to go, they squat and out comes their business. I saw this outside the train station as a little boy just stopped over a rain gutter and relieved himself. At first, I thought he was wetting his pants, but upon further inspection (No, I didn't get closer) I realized he had a split down his pants. If the culture you live in is okay with child public urination, they I must say the split pants are a nifty idea, but I doubt they'll make it big in the U.S. Something about stuffy old fogies not wanting to step in kid pee every three meters.

The main reason for my delay in posting has been my work schedule. For the month of January, we have moved to 6 day work weeks. It is exhausting. The one day off a week, (Lovingly called my weekend. Bullshit! A weekend is two days!) really only allows you a short breather before you enter back into the frenzy of four year olds. The reason we moved to 6 day work weeks for this month is so that next month we get two weeks vacation instead of one. With all the increased work time, I've also had more to do at work, with my promotion to head of foreign teacher hiring and training. Also, we are finishing up our R&D work so it's crunch time. Also, I am moving to the new center on the West Side of the city. It is located in the Jin Yuan Mall, the world's largest mall. I can't even begin to explain how big it is. On to what I've learned.
1)
2) Moving makes half the people happy and half the people mad. I need to look into cloning.
3) Lily doesn't use the word 大 in her Diary.
4) Non-standardized fingerings for numbers can be inadvertently hilarious.

The last one is a reference to three different kids. I have seen a kid hold up one finger and it was the middle, two fingers and it was the British up yours and three fingers and it was the shocker. So kids think they are doing a great job and I am laughing my ass of in the corner. So kids don't learn the bad things from TV, Video games, or the Internet, they learn them from school. So the lesson is, no more school!

No comments:

Post a Comment