I now know what it was like to live in the United States between the years 1865-1960. Roughly stated, those are the years the U.S. went from a rural agricultural country with an emerging industrial core, to the leading manufacturer and industry titan it was at the close of the 20th century. China is building. ALOT. From big projects to little ones, there is construction everywhere in China. There isn't the NIMBY philosophy that has stiffled many developed nations from expanding into the 21st century. Partly because people welcome growth and partly because the government says so, but that's another topic for another day. In Beijing alone over the next few years, plans are in the works to massively expand the subway lines that run throughout the city as well as work on creating a greener environment and for all the naysayers out there, I, for one, believe they can and will do it. I watched an entire store get built in a week. A WEEK! They gutted the old store, and redid the entire store in one week and it was up and running just fine. I've seen miles of trenches dug and filled in overnight. China not only has the manpower, but also the willpower to push ahead in the 21st century. They are experiencing two revolutions at once, the industrial and the computer and they are with the help of hindsight, better tools, more manpower, more central control and knocking the first one out the water. It's only a matter of time to see if they'll do the same with the second.
At work, we are in crunch time. A few more weeks and a lot of work to get done. If I am good at anything it is pulling a rabbit out of my hat in crunch time, even if it costs a few late nights. Other than that, our big bosses laid out the company's five year plan and if we want to, we will figure very prominently into it. Which leads me to what I've learned,
1) My bosses have a great sense of humor when they fake fired me twice in one meeting.
2) Brian needs to work on his code names
3) Kids love ice, way more than they should. It's just cold water!
4) Some people have all the charm
The last story isn't about me, but one of my friends. I swear, it was one of my friends, and not the one of my friends who had this weird dream but it was really me but I am just too embarrassed that I secretly have a crush on Finn from Glee. Seriously, my friend. Anyways, he comes over to our house last sunday and seems a little off. We come to find out, he's broken his Subway card. Not an accident, he did it out of anger. Why was he angry you ask? well, turns out he was approached by not 1, not 2, but 6, yes SIX prostitutes in one day! And he wasn't even wearing a sign, so remember, sometimes you are just a hooker magnet.
Tuesday, December 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment