There are many advantages to working in a company that has native Chinese speakers who also speak English. I don't feel left out at work. When I have a problem, I can ask almost anyone for help. I can learn more about the culture. I can make friends easier. However, there is a downside to them being able to speak English that I ran into twice this week. The first one occurred with a new co-worker. We were leaving work and I was talking about needing a hobby in China, because I am bored on my days off. Well, she didn't know the word for hobby. So as I have now become a walking Thesaurus from the mesozoic era, I tried to explain what hobby means in words she knew. I explained to her that a hobby is an activity that you do on a regular basis, either alone or with others, in my case I wanted to do something with others. I gave her a few examples of activities and as we were about to part ways, she says, " oh, I understand, you are looking for a partner." Before I could correct her, the bus arrived. So I may have implied I was looking for a girlfriend or she may now understand what a hobby is. Should be an interesting week. The next one, occurred with another co-worker who has been here for awhile. I was talking with a group of girls (wow, this soooo doesn't sound like how I behave at all of my previous jobs...hint for those who haven't worked with me, the above statement is sarcasm) and this girl asks me, "Which do you prefer, boys or girls?" Now I must say, there was no set up to this question, other than to preface it with, can I ask you a personal question. (Sidenote, if anyone ever asks you, can I ask you a personal question, your response should ALWAYS be yes. Nothing bad ever comes from personal questions, and 9 times out of 10 it's not really
that personal. There is that one time, where the police officer asks you where you stuffed the 12 bodies, and you regret saying yes because now you are looking at perjury charges, but that's a story for a different day. ) The question is on its surface a little vague, so I inquired do you mean, do I like to teach boys or girls more? No. Hesitantly, I asked the next obvious follow up, do you mean do I like to date boys or girls? No. Phew. Stumped on possible other implications, I asked for further explanation. She says, " like when you are a parent." WHAT?!?! For all of you that got that from the original question, pat yourself on the back, because in 10 years I wouldn't have guessed that. Now don't get me wrong, I love my co-workers and I don't mind the occasional slip-ups in translations, but I thought I'd mention a few of them to point out that even people speaking the same language don't always understand one another.
At work, this week has been kind of boring. We started planning our Christmas Party so we don't get caught scrambling like Halloween. I am also in charge of training in certain areas over the next month. So like always, another week, another responsibility on the table. This week we've learned
1) Getting friends together for Thanksgiving is a great idea.
2) PS3 is a good investment of my bonus money.
3) Spreadsheets can be helpful for keeping track of peoples' personal life.
4) Chinese kids are sooooo freaking adorable!
Earlier this week, I was coming home from work. As I got in the elevator, a little girl and her dad got in the elevator as well. I soon recognized this girl as a student from our school named Dora, who I have had in a lesson or two. Upon seeing me, she ran over and hugged my leg and nuzzled up next to me. Then looked up at me with quite possibly the cutest face ever. My heart melted. So let it be known, teaching was a good idea.
No comments:
Post a Comment