While in China, my brain has been very confused. Not the normal type of confused, like how CSI hasn't run out of crimes to solve or what bone is connected to the leg bone. No, my brain doesn't know what language to speak. In about 7th grade, it started to learn that if it didn't here English being spoken, it should turn to its french quarter, conveniently located in New Orleans or the Humor House and start speaking or translating to french. Because of this, I have often found myself wanting or actually responding to Chinese questions in French out of sheer habit. The good news is, I haven't forgotten as much French as I thought I had. The bad news, no one understands me, not even other English speakers.
Traveling around China, there are 5 modes of transportation available to me; Walk, Bike, Taxi, Bus, Subway. Walking and biking are for fairly local endeavors like going to the supermarket or work, but if you want to get most places fun, public transportation is your only option. Each option has increasing amounts of English with decreasing amounts of utility. The taxis can go anywhere at anytime, but speak little to no English and you better know your address in Chinese or you aren't going anywhere fast. Buses, go most places, but only run until 10pm. The bus stops are labeled in Pinyin on the buses but not on the stops, so if you aren't sure about a bus stop, it can quickly become a guessing game. Also, because there are sooooooo many bus stops and bus lines, it is not something to use without first looking it up online. Which brings me to the greatest website that sounds like a porn website but isn't. BJBUS.COM. Seriously, that is how you check buslines online. When Brian told me this at first, I thought he was just messing with me, but it's real. Finally, there is the Subway. Very English friendly, but doesn't go many places besides the popular locations and often you need to use a bus or taxi to get to the nearest location.
Work has been going by quicker and quicker these days. Everything has fallen into place and the routine becomes more and more second nature. I am now in charge of the Global Leadership curriculum for the school, which is great for my ever expanding resume. Also, I have been put in charge of our school's Halloween party, which should be fun, leading me to what I've learned.
1) Being from America makes you an expert on all things American even if you know little to nothing about said topic
2) It's a real good thing Germany and USSR didn't stay allied in WWII... All I have to say is PAN EURASIAN EMPIRE
3) I feel special being white here, and coincidentally, angry when I see other white people stealing my thunder
4) Doing things that could be construed as social taboos is the only way to live
The last comment, is in reference to my Halloween costume idea. I haven't made it official yet but I am hoping to dress up like a Chinese Security Guard for Halloween. They are basically like psuedo military here. I am hoping to rent a uniform from our door man with the help of some Chinese friends. Let's just say, this will either be a really good costume or one where I'm spending 5-10 years behind bars. But just remember, pushing the envelope is the only way it'll move.
Friday, October 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment